Saturday, November 17, 2007

We Are The Ones

For these our Freedom remains sound and intact.

Making the email rounds, is this poem:

We are the ones ...

Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his friends.

We are the ones ...
We are the ones that raised our hands and said: "I'll go, send me."
We are the ones that stand in the gap between civilization and chaos.
We are the ones that understand what it is like to lose our brothers and sisters.



We are the ones who also know that if we don't carry this fight to those who have chosen to be our enemy we will have to pick up the bodies of our children, our parents, our friends from our own streets.



We are the ones who know that is unacceptable.
We are the ones who have chosen to pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty ... to protect you.
We are the ones who understand that you may NOT understand why we chose to follow this path.
We just ask: "Please trust us."
We are the ones who love you more than life itself.


-- a soldier



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. No words, just tears, and thank you.
d

Punkys Dilemma said...

You're welcome D. I always have you all in my prayers as well.

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

The last paragraph of this poem reminds me of a comment Lex made recently to someone in the context of a conversation about "torture".

He said something to the effect of
You are my family. You are my extended family and I love you. I have killed for you. You may not have asked me to or even wanted me to, but I have.