Saturday, November 17, 2007

Vaccinate your kids- Or Else!


So let me understand this....If we don't vaccinate our children, we may go to jail up to 7 days. Did I get that right? And what purpose does this serve by incarcerating parents, taking them away from their children? Can someone explain this to me like a six year old?
A Maryland school district wants to vaccinate children from kindergarten to high school for chicken pox and Hepatitis B.

Should parents be fined or jailed for refusing to vaccinate their children? Hundreds of parents may face both if they don't show up at court to have their children vaccinated this weekend. A Maryland school district has ordered the parents of 2,300 students to court Saturday for missing the September immunization deadline.

Hepatitis B...btw, a liver disease transmitted through drug use of needles or sexual intercourse. And chickenpox...well perhaps I'm just 'old school', but I never found chickenpox to be a life threatening virus to the point of needing to be vaccinated for it. My children had it. My generation had it. My mother's generation had it. No such vaccine. And we're all just fine thank you.

5) Chickenpox is not smallpox and hepatitis B is not polio. Hepatitis B is not an infection that can be transmitted in the school setting and chickenpox is mild for most children. These diseases do not fit the model of highly contagious diseases with a high rate of complications leading to permanent injury and death that have led to state vaccine requirements in the past.
6) Although Maryland and other states may allow medical and religious exemptions, they are very difficult for parents to obtain. Doctors cannot easily write medical exemptions that are not second-guessed by public health officials, who require strict adherence to narrow contraindications blessed by the CDC. Often parents, who attempt to file religious exemptions, are thrown into rooms and grilled about the sincerity of the religious beliefs.

Maybe its time parents take back our right to raise our children in the way we see best for them. Whether they want to vaccinate or they choose not to for whatever their beliefs.

8) The vaccine safety and informed consent debate is becoming more intense because more parents are reporting that their children are regressing into poor health after receiving many vaccines. Vaccines carry risks of seizures, brain inflammation and even death and often high risk children are not screened out of the program.
9) It is time for the people to take back the power - through their elected representatives - to decide which vaccines their children should have to take to go to school. In the past few decades, legislatures have given up their power to vote on which new vaccines will be mandated and have handed that power over to public health officials who have never met a vaccine they did not want to mandate.

It needs to be *our* choice.





8 comments:

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Now this is scary.
I don't know, if I was an American I would be a lot more worried about this invasion of 'personal freedon' than many of the ones that seem to get a lot of discussion in the blogsphere.

And even more scary, I notice the article states that the hep B vaccine is "one of the vacccines that's known to be fairly reactive and cause a severe side effect more often than a lot of the other vaccines.". Things like "a lot of potential neurological side effects: numbness and weakness in their arms and legs" for teenagers and adults. And his comment that he couldn't tell us the exact numbers for serious side effects because it's not made public ... Cute.

Yep, scary. Sounds like they're pretty tight on giving out the waivers too. Actually it really bothered me that the original article didn't even mention the possibility of a waiver. Because they don't actually want people to know of the option?

Thank God for places like 909shot.com. And thank you, too, for posting this.

Punkys Dilemma said...

Thanks for reading!
The advantages of vaccines are made known, thats a given. Now, if only the public were more informed on the dangers of vaccine. Then families can make up their own mind.

Anonymous said...

What a subject! Vaccines ... there are the necessary type, there are the unnecessary type and there are this type! Ridiculours type. I agree with you Punky

Anonymous said...

You're right, mmc, it IS scary. Each state has different requirements for the waivers, as well, which, right again! are not publicized. Here (PA) we have medical, religious, and I believe, still, philisophical, which is meant for those who don't necessarily belong to a "church" or other organzied religious group with a stated anti-vaccine stance.
I had no difficulty with my own children...BUT, they had received most of the "necessary" vaccinations before I even became aware of the choice. My youngest did have an exemption on file for some years.
They surely don't tell us, still, the only information given to parents is that side effects are rare and limited to redness and inflammation at the injection site, and slight fevers.
Yeah, right, tell that to my cousin, who buried her son.
This country was created on FREEDOM. How far will we go the other way?
d

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Can it be religious discrimination (discrimination on the basis of your religion) to not offer a philosopical exemption? In other words, is it discrimination on the basis of not having a religion? Is non-religion a form of religion?

Have I lost my mind?

Anonymous said...

What mind? Oh, I see it--it's out playing in the snow, with mine!

Actually, that question crystalized a belief I've been growing carefully in the shaded back of my mind for quite a while:

Since anti-religion, be it atheism, or simply separation of church and state (not that there's anything simple about THAT abomination as it's practiced today!) is a BELIEF SYSTEM (when are you gonna teach me to underline or make italics? so I don't have to--shout?)

Anti-religion is a BELIEF SYSTEM. By catering to their delicate sensibilities and not expressing my (or any other) religion, aren't we guilty of reverse discrimination? Isn't that discrimination in itself? Shouldn't we fight it???

WHOP!! Your mind just hit mine with a slushball.......no fair, I want hot cocoa and fresh-baked cookies!
d

Punkys Dilemma said...

Doctors or pharmaceuticals will never tell families of the severe side effects of vaccines. And it scares me that I can't tell my niece's who are having children now, of those dangers. I take that back...I did warn them. But they won't take me seriously. Unless (I'm sure) if they heard it from the doctor themselves. Then they would make their choices more seriously. Shame.........

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks PunkyD,
I am so glad that you posted this!!! When I saw it I was outraged. I hate the idea of the government stepping into what we put INTO our bodies!!!! There is absolutley no freedom in that! And the fact that there is actually NO LAW on the books that could be used to put them in jail... is ridiculous, they are using this for a scare tactic. I pray for these parents. Because if they have decided not to vaccinate then there is a reason. And I pray they will stand their ground, even though it may be a difficult road.
Thanks again for bringing light to this situation.