Sunday, February 14, 2010

Alexandre Bilodeau Wins The Gold In Men's Mogul


Alexandre Bilodeau captured a gold medal in the men’s moguls event at Cypress Mountain Sunday, marking him forever as the first Canadian athlete to win Olympic gold on Canadian soil.

...Bilodeau’s older brother, Frederic, who has cerebral palsy, was at the finish line and cheering wildly for his younger sibling. Bilodeau was close to tears when he spoke to CTV about his brother and his family.

“A lot,” he said when asked how much of his historic medal belongs to Frederic. “It’s really getting me right now. My brother is my inspiration. Growing up with handicapped people puts everything back in perspective and he taught me so many things in life. My parents did, too.”

It's fascinating to hear the stories of these awesome athletes. Their determination. Their failures. Their injuries. Their comebacks. And their families. That's what made Alexandre Bilodeau stand out. His brother Frederic, who has cerebral palsy. Disabilities are very close to my heart. I understand how Frederic is an inspiration to Alexandre. How living with the disabled will teach you and give you a strength in your soul that you could have never imagined existed in the very core of your being. You go Alexandre. Congrats on your Gold!

No comments: