Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Life is like a box of Chocolates......


Don't get me wrong. Its not that I have anything against Victoria's Secret and what they stand for. Although I must say, the Victoria Angel's may be a few fries short of a Happy Meal. I may be wrong. But thats neither here nor there. And it has nothing to do with the fact that they aired a Victoria's Secret Fashion show on CBS. But on the other hand that does make for tabloid news, doesn't it. Alls fair in love and war.


With all the shiny angel supermodels prancing around in thongs and pillow talk of curve-enhancing bras, lingerie giant Victoria's Secret seems pretty innocuous. Well, except for the fact that it's produced by Bangladeshi workers in Jordan who are subjected to totally harsh conditions that don't sound remotely sensual.

Sure, we know a lot of the crap we buy is assembled by compromised foreign workers, and yet we buy it because that's what America is all about. Or something. But there's something rather sad about reports in WWD today that sewers at D.K. Garments, a subcontractor for Victoria's Secret, were "slapped and beaten, not paid their full overtime pay and labored from 7 a.m. to as late as 10 p.m., seven days a week with one day off every three or four months."

And maybe Victoria's Secret had no clue that their lingerie is made by slave trades from Bangladesh, Indonisia or Sri Lanka who work in hideous conditions in Jordan. The show must go on. The Angel's will continue to walk the walkway the way they do. And the slave trades will continue to be beaten.


A sad state of affairs indeed.........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the VS angel line of commercials to be heretical, personally, and a slap at my faith. The absolute antithesis of what angels are supposed to be--actually, when angels went that way, they were renamed demons.

But that doesn't mean I'll protest or anything--they're entitled to be crass idiots.

And I didn't buy their products before the angel commercials, and I sure won't buy them now, thanks for the info. d

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Yeah, thanks for the info indeed. I had no idea.

Not that I buy the stuff anyway. I think you might need a body or something like that to actually wear it. LOL

Punkys Dilemma said...

Not that I buy the stuff anyway. I think you might need a body or something like that to actually wear it. LOL

LOL I agree. The visual of that has me ROFL. With myself anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

I was channel-surfing last night I came across the VS show. All I could think of was how ridiculous those models looked like. Like an anorexic horse clomping around clumsily. And those wings? Since when does an angel wear wings that looked like a collage of newspaper clippings? The outfits were far from sexy to me. I think they are far over-rated. And the Spice Women's performance? They stink! Victoria Beckham is more interested in her "posing" for the cameras than anything else. The whole show was a mess.

Punkys Dilemma said...

Thanks Barbara
I have to wonder if these women who model these things realize its come from abusive hands. I wonder if they would even care. Things that make you go hmmm.....